Tuesday, August 5, 2008

looking for the kingdom coming down

"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Persian Proverb

"God is within her, she will not fall. God will help her at break of day." Psalm 46:5

"Are we able and willing to unhook ourselves from the restraining emotional bonds that prevent us from following our deepest vocation?" ~Henri Nouwen

"We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." Colossians 1:28-29

***
I'm back in Bolivia after rather strange summer vacation. In many ways it's wonderful to be back. I'm excited for a new year of teaching. Setting up and decorating my classroom and planning lessons has reminded me how much I love my job. It is also encouraging to be surrounded by people who have stepped out on faith to follow the command to go and make disciples in every nation. To begin staff meetings every morning with a time of devotion and to be encouraged daily by the Word is refreshing.

However, being here without my dear friend who has been such an integral part of my life the last two years is a million times harder and lonelier than I ever imagined.

But God does work in mysterious ways. Yesterday I received an encouraging message on facebook. It was from a girl I went to high school with but was never very close to. I hadn't talked to anyone from high school in 6 years (since graduation). Yet for some reason, yesterday she decided to send me a message to tell me she was praying for me. I think we both kind of knew in high school that the other was a Christian, but those were lonely years and neither of us made a big deal about our faith. She explained in her message the loneliness of high school and the change she experienced in college, once again growing strong in her faith. It was like looking in a mirror, to speak metaphorically. I think we both regret having let those years slip by. However, God used this message from someone I barely know to encourage me in a time of deep loneliness and to remind me that we should never just let the days slip by, but claim each day for Him.

1 comment:

brian said...

Hope all is well in La Paz!