Remembering that every step we take, whether part of a dance or just part of life, is a Step of Grace.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
in the secret
This morning as I rolled over and slowly opened my eyes, savoring those last few seconds of a dream now long forgotten, there was something missing. The usual hustle and bustle of the busy business district where I live was gone, and in its place there was a peace and stillness in the air. No cars were driving by, no car alarms were going off, no middle aged men were playing soccer on the cancha below my window, everything was quiet. Today was voting day. In Bolivia, voting always takes place on a Sunday and is accompanied by some rather odd rules. Forty-eight hours before voting and for 12 hours after, the purchase and consumption of alcohol is prohibited (although how they enforce that is beyond me). The grocery stores block off the alcohol aisles with yellow tape or a black curtain, in a fashion similar to holy week. There are also no unauthorized motorized vehicles allowed on the streets, meaning no private or public transportation. So instead of the usual grating noise of car alarm after car alarm going off, today has been filled with the voices of children riding their bikes in the usually busy, but now empty streets. And while today is the day that could determine the future of the tumultuous country that is my home for 10 months of the year, I have claimed today for myself. I spent the morning in prayer, asking the Lord to use the quietness of this day to minister to a lonely heart. And through the tasks of the day he has answered. In the feeling of peace I have now that my living space is clean and organized. In the brief conversation with a friend that is far away. Even in the movie I watched that epitomized loneliness, I was able to see what can happen to people who don't have the Lord during lonely times and take comfort in the knowledge that I have a Father and Savior in heaven who is with me always. Our God is faithful and answers those cries from the depths of our souls. My prayer for you is that you too might be able to experience a day of quiet, a day to meet the Lord in the secret, a day where you are able to hear the soft whisper of his voice speaking peace and love to your heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love how God calls us to quiet moments with him, despite the craziness that's going on around us. thank you for being a reminder of God's calming, peaceful presence.
Post a Comment