A few weeks ago I was inspired to start this blog up again. I missed writing and a friend encouraged me to go back to blogging. And so I did (see post below). But I did not advertise the new beginning, because I was still not sure how long I would stick with it. So instead I waited for inspiration to strike again, and then it did last night.
Last night, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the Love Cost Everything simulcast at my church. This documentary was put together by CIY and Voice of the Martyrs and portrayed the persecuted church around the world. It was heart-wrenching, eye-opening, and above all one of the most challenging things I have seen in a long time.
I was struck by the steadfastness and joy that these people displayed. I couldn't help but wonder, would I do the same if my life and my family were in danger? How easily I get upset about the silly little problems that crop up in my life. What must it be like to face danger every time you walk out of your house? I don't think the point of the documentary was to minimize our own problems, though. Sure, let's put them in perspective, but we all face our own set of struggles. But how do we face them? Do we face them with joy or sorrow? With praise or complaints? Are we looking ahead to eternity or are we stuck in the grim present?
I was also amazed by the final plea made by the people who face persecution daily. "Do not pray for the persecution to end. Pray we will have strength to face it and that God will be glorified through it." Wow. Do I have the courage to pray to share in Christ's sufferings? I don't know. I would like to say yes, of course, but I don't know if I am there yet.
There is so much more I could say, so many stories to share, but really you should just watch the movie for yourself and then process through the challenges it presents. If you live in Cincinnati, it is showing again at Parkside this Sunday at 7pm. If you live elsewhere, look it up to see if it playing somewhere near you. It is definitely worth 2 hours of your time.
1 comment:
my church showed it too. incredible. so challenging in so many ways. love your heart and so glad you're blogging again :)
Post a Comment