Friday, March 16, 2012

6 Impossible Things

Last weekend as I watched the new Alice in Wonderland movie for the umpteenth time, I began to wonder why the story of Alice has always been a favorite of mine. It is such a strange story, but I love it. When I was 6, I had a storybook party for my birthday and I was Alice.  On sick days as a child, I wore out the VHS with the recorded-from-TV real life movie version. I own several editions of the book, including a facsimile of the original text written in Lewis Carroll's handwriting.  As I reflected on what about this story resonated with me over the years, I realized that it was the adventures in a world where the impossible was possible. Alice stumbles through this world, not quite sure what is real and what is a dream, but she journeys on and through each adventure she finds her "muchness".

And isn't that how we live life? Not sure what we are doing, or where we are going, but dreaming big and hoping that if we just keep moving, maybe we will find our dreams are real? It's how I seem to live, at least. I have big dreams, and look forward to big adventures. I don't know where they are or what they will look like, but I stumble through hoping to find them along the way. And sometimes on this journey, the impossible seems to happen, because that word is not in the vocabulary of the Author of my story.  After this week, with the future more uncertain than ever, I needed that reminder. Impossible is not a part of my story. My story is bigger than budget cuts and a possible pink slip. In fact those things others see as tragedies, can be the catalyst for an even bigger adventure. So I stumble on....

No comments: