Sunday, September 7, 2008

shining like stars and lifting my eyes up to the hills

3:30am....at this hour it is pitch black outside. At this hour Bolivians are still stumbling home from the bars and clubs, after a night of too much indulgence. At this hour most of the city is still asleep. Yet this is the hour I awoke this morning to set off on a mini-adventure. A few of the teachers and I set off with our director for a 2 hour drive outside of the city, hoping to catch the sunrise from the top of a mountain. We had felt the call to escape the confines of the city and surround ourselves with beauty and God.

As we drove along in the pitch black, we were all surprisingly awake. We chatted and got to know our new New Zealand friend, who had just arrived a few days before. At one point, once we were out of view of the city lights we stopped the truck, got out, and looked up. Words cannot describe the blanket of stars that met our eyes. Even in all my trips to the Dominican Republic and time spent laying on the basketball court starting at the stars, I have never seen a sky like this. Perhaps being at 14,000 feet is the difference. I have never in my life seen so many stars, the entire sky was shining and twinkling. It was magical and really brought the verse "shine like the stars in the heavens" from Phillipians to life.

We continued the drive until we arrived at the trailhead. The plan was to just do the upwards climb of the old pre-Colombian Incan trail, stop at the top, soak in the beauty, then head back down and back to the city. But first, we had breakfast at the trailhead. It was icy cold, my hands and toes were quickly numb. Yet the breakfast of scrambled egg and bacon burritos and banana muffins was devine. Honestly, now that I know all the fun equipment that goes with camping, I might be tempted to try it more often.

After our riquisimo breakfast, we began the hour hike up to the top. Now as you know, I am not a hiker, and I am always nervous about hiking up and down places. I like nice, flat walks. However, this one really was not that bad. I took it at my own pace, stopped when I needed a breath (we were climbing up from 14,000ft!), and made it to the top only slightly tired. As I walked, I couldn't help but contemplate how much hiking up mountains is like the Christian life. It's hard, but you know the end is going to be worth it. And to further encourage this metaphor, when you turn the final corner, there sitting perched at the top is a cross, waiting to welcome you to your destination. Really, what more can you ask for?

We sat on the top for a while, soaking in God's incredible creation. Clouds rolling in over the valley below us, covered the jungle we knew was there, but couldn't see. A snow covered mountain was directly to our right, looking close enough that we should be able to reach out and touch the snow. Sitting there above the clouds, someone got out their Bible. We all took turns passing it around, reading different passages that we had been thinking about. This was perhaps my favorite moment. Sitting on top of God's creation, reading His word with fellow kingdom workers.

The hike down, though scary at a few points, was also not too bad and the drive home was amazing. I mean, turning a corner and being face to face with a 24,000 foot snow capped mountain will take your breath away. I spent the ride just thinking how incredible my life was. Our God truly is faithful, and if you seek Him, you will find Him.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

wow, roomie. you know how to create beautiful pictures without having photos on your post. i loved your descriptions...what a wonderful experience it was to worship our Lord together today!

Abby said...

One of my favorite things to do is go to my family's farm and go star gazing. Out in the country it's an amazing site and I can't imagine how beautiful it was on the mountain.