Friday, May 23, 2008

the little cracks, they escalated

So I have sat down to blog three times this week, and everytime I ended up erasing everything I wrote and moving on to other things. It was either too scattered, too personal, or just too boring. Who knows how this will turn out? The problem is that my mind is going in a million directions and I can't seem to pick one to follow. From culture issues to life changes, from loneliness to trusting God in all things, from good-byes to hope in the future, my mind is pretty much a jumbled mess. So rather than getting into any of that I think I will just share some funny moments with my sweet kids. My kids are the most precious children ever and every day they are an encouragement. Really, if you ever need a self-esteem boost go teach 7 and 8 year olds. My days are filled with hugs, kisses, and kids saying things like "You are the best teacher in the world", "I love you so, so much.", and "I wish you could be my teacher forever." They are darling. And they also make me laugh all the time. Two of my favorite moments this year came from language mix-ups. In my class I have one native english speaker and 15 kids who speak english as a second or third language and that leads to some very funny mix-ups.

One happened earlier this year. Guillermo, one of my very energetic boys, had gone to the cafeteria to try and get a cup of water. When he got back, I asked if had been able to find a cup. His response was, "Yes, the lord of the chicken gave me one." I have to admit it took me a minute...and I had to hold my breath to keep from laughing in his face. But I finally realized he had translated senor (sir, used as a respectful term for man) as lord and had mixed up chicken with kitchen. Yep, still makes me laugh out loud.

Another funny one happened just a couple of weeks ago. My precious Raisa came running up to me at recess and all out of breath asked, "Are you the dude of the school?" This one took a while longer and I had to have Raisa try and explain what she meant. Eventually, I figured out that she was asking if I was on recess duty.

So yeah, this hasn't been deep or anything...trust me you don't want to go there. But hopefully it put a little smile on your face or even made you chuckle out loud. Kids are great, aren't they?

1 comment:

laura said...

heheh, i have that same blogging dilemma. i can't say how many blogs i've begun and deleted or saved but not posted due to any number of reasons.

i am so excited to see you.
love :)