Sunday, May 25, 2008

fragile hope

So yesterday several of the teachers left to go climb a 20,000 ft. mountain. Not my idea of a good time, so instead I planned a quiet day and evening at home, catching up on sleep, getting some work done, and just lounging around. However, plans can change. I ended up setting an alarm (the one thing I hate doing on Saturday mornings) and waking up early to share a waffle breakfast at one of my favorite famiy's house. My favorite little 4 year old princess welcomed me in her pajamas and we shared a lovely breakfast together. Then, leaving the kids at home, I went with the mom, and a couple other teachers to an art fair at the nearby school. I love walking around looking at all of the beautiful handmade items and although I hadn't planned on buying anything, I ended up buying an alpaca scarf and a really cute bag. I was tempted to buy another Eric Bauer photograph, but I had bought one at the last fair and decided to save my money and wait on a second one. During the morning, Ali and I took a break to sit in the sun and warm up and we ended up having a deep heart to heart. This continued through lunch at the fair (yummy Japanese food) and the whole way home. Once at home I was able to chill for a few hours and get some work done while I watched Friends. I still planned on having a restful evening at home, snuggled under the covers, either with a book or a movie. But once again, my plans changed. I ended up going up the city to get a bite to eat with Ali, where we were able to continue our conversation from earlier and she was able to offer some insight into some of the things I have been going through. We then caught up with two of our friends to go see the new Indiana Jones movie, which was fun, but pretty cheesy and not quite as good as the originals. Ali and I then decided to get some dessert and listen to some live music before calling it a night. Although I didn't get my completely quiet, relaxed day I had been planning, it was still a great day and I was really glad to get the chance to draw closer to Ali. And who knows, I woke up not feeling great, so I have already skipped church and spent the morning relaxing in bed, doing my bible study and listening to a Mars Hill podcast, so maybe today will be the quiet day I missed yesterday?

No comments: