So this morning I decided to start blogging. I decided partly because there have been so many thoughts in my head lately that getting them down might keep me from going crazy and partly (mostly, actually) because I felt I needed a new distraction, facebook was getting kind of old. This is a big step for me, a commitment I never thought I could handle. I was talking with friends at New Years about how I never make New Year resolutions specifically because I seem to just make them throughout the year. So I guess we could call this my February resolution. Let's see how it goes!
So, where to begin...there are so many things I could write about. But since yesterday was Valentine's Day, I will start there. I have heard the term "Singles Awareness Day" many times, and must admit the first time I heard it, I thought it was rather funny and probably used it. However, anyone who honestly believes that is all Valentine's Day is should teach lower elementary. Seven and eight year olds HATE "mushy, gushy, boy-girl love" yet at the same time, love Valentine's Day. The morning started with me trying to convince my boys that Valentine's day was so much more than a girly holiday all about mushy love and ended with the entire class having a blast finding kind things to write about each other and celebrating friendship. And I was reminded of the many places we find love. For example, every day I walk into a classroom of 16 little second graders who I love dearly and who love me unconditionally. My Valentine's Day was full of hugs, kisses, homemade cards and pictures from the sweetest kids, and yet, it had very little to do with a Hallmark holiday, but rather, was just another day in my classroom. I have been entrusted with these little souls and I work hard to make my classroom a safe haven, full of love and in return, have been rewarded with more love than I could ever imagine.
And if that wasn't enough, I am constantly blessed by the amazing friends the Lord has brought into my life. I was fortunate enough to get to spend last night with my amazing roommate and another teacher trying a new restuarant, splurging on delicious chocolatey desserts and just basking in the amazing gift of friendship. I never once regretted the fact I didn't have a date because I was still spending that time with people I love. Last night I looked back over the last several years of date-less Valentine's Days and rather than feeling depressed and lonely, I recalled some of the best times spent with best friends. One day, there may be a date (I hope, anyway), and I am sure it will be wonderful, but I wonder....will there be a small part of me that misses that special girl time? That time when you as best friends come together just to celebrate being friends? Just in case, I plan to soak it all up now.
So anyway, that was a long ramble. I don't even know if anyone will read it, but I just know that for me yesterday was a special day, because I was reminded of how I am surrounded by love every day. I need to stop taking it for granted and start appreciating it for what it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment