...until we take over the world. ~Shane Claiborne
"The Jesus movement is a revolution that dances" ~Shane Claiborne
I finally got around to reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. Over the last few years, I have had friend after friend reccommend this book to me. However, not usually willing to pay full price for a book, I waited until I finally found it at Half-Price Books and then I snatched it up this summer. I had been warned though. This guy is completely radical, but he has some good ideas. I was expecting to find some good nuggets of wisdom, but also to disagree with a lot of what he said. Or even if I didn't completely disagree, at least just pass it off as the ramblings of a radical, and as not actually practical ways of living for everyone. However, I was wrong. I think I agreed with almost everything he said. And it is hard. Maybe the reason some people would like to pass him off as a radical is that what he says is hard. But as I read, I couldn't help but think, This sounds right. This sounds like Jesus. Jesus was not an easy person to follow in his time, why should he be an easy person to follow now?
I know I am not ready to completely give up everything in the way Shane has, however, I also know that is because of my own selfishness, not because I don't think it is necessary. But I want to start taking small steps in giving up my rights and my life, and allowing Jesus to really work through me. I pray for open eyes to see the opportunities to show love and the courage to take them.
And maybe a small part of me just loved this book because every chapter talked about a revolution that dances. And how beautiful is that?
No comments:
Post a Comment